General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun May 03, 2020 9:34 am

Some of these are RPGs
ImageImage Image Image

;) ❤️ :twasnothin: ❤️ :fancyhat:

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 am

Re: NieR Automata

I'm a fair bit into Route C and all bets are off :-I

imma just dump thoughts and theorycraft:

- the game is constantly making me evaluate and re-evaluate how to 'read' it and I haven't been this engrossed by a gaming experience in a long time
- Okay so at the end of route B two holographic kids showed up who look suspiciously like Devola and Popola and they're related to a Bad Thing that happened a long time ago.
- 2B or not to be
- my guess is she's still alive somehow.. I mean parts of her have gone into A2's memory banks and she showed up as a hologram as well...
- So now we have two instances of holographic people and WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???
- Holy shit I just realized that Popola and Devola are the ones who help 9S after they show as he's 'dying' at the end of B
- right now I'm looking at the (mini)map and I'm going... waittaminute, they said this is based on satellite image data... but the player icon is the same as when I'm in "hackerspace". Plus the whole aesthetic is the same too. Also YorHa is dead now... Hmmm... :squintyjack:
- also items and such all carry over between characters too, as do the items that you've picked up in "previous" playthroughs :squintyjack:

So like

A game teaches a player how to play it, how to read it.

Mario 1-1 explains the basic mechanics of the game to the player by simply having them play the game.
Within 30 seconds you have a basic grasp of how the game works: that you can jump, that blocks break when you hit them, that they drop something, that the something is a powerup that makes you bigger etc etc etc.

If a player has experience with games as a whole then all of that, the 'language' of the medium like menus, UI elements, player input, saving/loading, movement, narrative and so on, is familiar to them and they have certain preconceived notions.
NieR: Automata is aware of that, introducing bits and pieces over time (Jean-Paul, multiple playthroughs, playing back your first-time setup to you etc etc) and proceeds to just gradually deconstruct itself and the very nature of games as it goes along.

WAIT...

WAIT...

:-D I think I have something here but I'll need to keep playing to see whether I'm right.

---

This is broadening my understanding of what the medium is capable of.

Possible fave of all time.

e: oh also, and I guess you could prolly tell already but

all the while the game is never preachy or arrogant about it. It never goes "haha look at me!" as it's unfolding itself. Rather it encourages the player to participate in on it... like a game should since it's an interactive medium.

It's doing all this but it's also just a fun video game.

This is like the Revolutionary Girl Utena of games or something...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun May 03, 2020 10:55 am

Back in the day, a number of people argued (like for instance the guy behind Errant Signal) how steam shouldn't curate because they might stop some cool experimental game from being published

and looking at the screenshots on the previous page or really a lot of the games in this sale, i have to ask, what are they smoking?
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Sun May 03, 2020 10:58 am

yeah, i sure was lacking all these goat simulator knockoffs and weeb dating games in my life
ImageImage Image Image

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 pm

i think that take made more sense at the time, when steam really did have kind of a lockdown on the PC game market and smaller games that couldn't get on it would struggle to get an audience

but then valve just kind of gradually abdicated all responsibility as a platform holder in a way i don't think anybody really thought was a good idea and became kind of an awful platform for new indie games to get discovered on and now itch.io is kind of serving the role of a platform where anybody with a neat idea and a copy of game maker studio can try to release something on better than steam was ever really able to

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Which is pretty ironic. The platform that never had any standards remained the place for experimental stuff (and has only become more well known for it) while the place that opened the floodgates specifically to be more open to experimental stuff is known only for professional-grade material everyone already knows exists... and thrown-together garbage.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am

tbh, i at this point doubt these "cool experimental games" even exist considering all i ever see are crappy "run away from the monster" horror games with ps1 graphics and vhs filters over them

that or "glitches are scaaary" type games

or something wanting to be meta because undertale did it
Last edited by DaikatunaRevengeance on Tue May 05, 2020 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 6:20 am

i am pretty jaded about the indie games scene :-I
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 6:25 am

like the "haunted demo disk" compliation that everyone was going gaga over? that thing is utter trash. there's maybe one good game in there.
ImageImage Image Image

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 10:48 am

okay, but Night Of The Consumers is fucking gold tho

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 10:50 am

That is true.
ImageImage Image Image

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:19 pm

I'll elaborate later but Nier: Automata is the best game ever :allears:

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:09 pm

DaikatunaRevengeance wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am
tbh, i at this point doubt these "cool experimental games" even exist considering all i ever see are crappy "run away from the monster" horror games with ps1 graphics and vhs filters over them

that or "glitches are scaaary" type games

or something wanting to be meta because undertale did it
i mean i don't need to tell you that's a really lousy cynical attitude that's kind of just dumping on every independent creator with a project they care about right??

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Well i'm pretty cynical.
ImageImage Image Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 pm

It's also a surprising attitude to hear coming from someone who's clearly a Vinesauce fan. For as much as his Sunday streams supposedly revolve around "trash" (to the point of sometimes being mistaken for one of those dudebros whose channels revolve around reacting to CRING) he's gotten a lot of genuine enjoyment out of some of the weirdest games. If nothing else, that should prove that they can find an audience.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 pm

Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am
"one night, hot springs art collection"

literally the artbook of a visual novel
simulated art
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 pm
simulated art
Hah!
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm

daikatuna people should make games if they wanna make games

however steam's tag system is extremely bad

it's amazing how many visual novels and anime games have 'nudity' as a tag not because there's any nudity but because it's a meme to tag anime as nudity.
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:37 pm

like honestly I think the system would work better if they dropped the tag system entirely and had it be decided by the game designers instead, there'd be much fewer false positives and false negatives and somesuch
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:37 pm

like I'd really really like them to stop tagging kid's games as "sexual content" because they think it's funny
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 pm

I guess you're right.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 8:07 pm

Look, i'm not gonna stop anyone from making games. But at the same time i'm just tired of the indie scene, especially the indie horror scene which has done nothing but make mediocre repetative titles that somehow keep getting attention.

Like for fuck's sake, the guy who made Faith (a game i like) then went and made a boring fishing game that's only horror because you find a severed hand and a body in the end.

Heck, other than Faith I genuinely can't remember when was the last time I've seen a GOOD indie horror game.
ImageImage Image Image

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 9:49 pm

The reality is that indie development is basically open to anyone with a computer and 20bux for an engine. Thus, you have to have the same expectations as you do when browsing Deviantart or fanfiction.net. The more accessible something is, the more random junk gets made and posted because the vast majority of creators of literally any art are novices who like like to follow trends as they learn.

In the old days, the only creators of games were either teams with publishing resources or independent people with lots of experience in coding and other creative arts because the skill required to get even the most basic things running required more effort and learned skill than the average person was able to put forward. Those days being gone and the artform being open to almost anyone is a good thing. Being tired of having to sift through amateur works is just something you're going to have to get over, because people are going to create and improve and get feedback so that they may eventually end up having the chance to make something you will enjoy. And that's the way it should be.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 pm

Yeah, I kinda have to go with PM here. I think they put it in a better manner than I could've.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 7:48 am

I don't have the interest or will to argue this further.
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Tue May 05, 2020 8:07 pm
Look, i'm not gonna stop anyone from making games. But at the same time i'm just tired of the indie scene, especially the indie horror scene which has done nothing but make mediocre repetative titles that somehow keep getting attention.

Like for fuck's sake, the guy who made Faith (a game i like) then went and made a boring fishing game that's only horror because you find a severed hand and a body in the end.

Heck, other than Faith I genuinely can't remember when was the last time I've seen a GOOD indie horror game.
I will argue that that fishing game sounds really bad
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:23 pm

also I have not heard of faith what is it
ImageImageImageImage

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:27 pm

It’s a horror game about an exorcist that’s styled after super old PC games.

Also,

MORTIS

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Specifically it resembles a C64 game, I think even the MORTIS is using recordings from a text to speech program for the C64 (or at least a modern recreation).

In two cases it ignores the self-imposed limitations and does a creepy rotoscoped animation, which looks pretty neat.

There's a sequel, but I'm not fond of it because it feels just like it's the same but more.
ImageImage Image Image

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Tue May 05, 2020 7:16 pm
Well i'm pretty cynical.
I think you're also just looking in the wrong places. :fluttershrug: I personally don't really "get" horror as a genre so I kind of steer clear of that whole circle, but the indie scene as a whole has grown exponentially over the last two decades and you'd be sorely missing out if you're willing to write off games because they have large pixels or a minimalist aesthetic or whatever personal gripe.

Like let me try and put this in perspective with a list of the more notable indie games, counting only those I've played, since then:

2001: Uplink
2004: Cave Story
2006: An Untitled Story, Dwarf Fortress
2007: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Garden Gnome Carnage
2008: Braid, World of Goo, Spelunky, Castle Crashers, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Iji, Dino Run
2009: Minecraft, Half-Minute Hero
2010: VVVVVV, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, Hero Core, Super Meat Boy, Desktop Dungeons
2011: Bastion, The Binding of Isaac, Terraria, To The Moon, Dungeons of Dredmor, English Country Tune, Blocks That Matter, Atom Zombie Smasher, Wizorb
2012: FTL: Faster Than Light, Hotline Miami, Dyad, Retro City Rampage, Super Hexagon, Thomas Was Alone, Little Inferno, Skullgirls, Teleglitch, Gasketball
2013: Papers, Please, Don't Starve, Antichamber, Proteus, Rogue Legacy, Runner2, Risk of Rain, Hammerwatch, Super Puzzle Platformer, BattleBlock Theater
2014: Shovel Knight, Luftrausers, Duck Game, Crawl, Road Not Taken, Coin Crypt, Roundabout
2015: Crypt of the Necrodancer, Rocket League, Undertale, Downwell, Axiom Verge, Nuclear Throne, Castle in the Darkness, Curses 'N Chaos
2016: Stardew Valley, Darkest Dungeon, Hyper Light Drifter, VA-11 Hall-A, Starbound, Factorio, Beglitched, Slime Rancher
2017: Cuphead, Night in the Woods, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, KAMIKO, Strange Telephone
2018: Celeste, Into The Breach, Minit, My Time At Portia, Runner3
2019: Katana Zero, Baba Is You, WarGroove, Risk of Rain 2, Weedcraft Inc, Forager

There are probably a handful of games I'm forgetting here, as well as several I have yet to play, but as you can see I'm not exactly left wanting by the indie scene. There's such an overwhelming number of indies now who put real passion into their craft and leave no shortage of games I haven't played but would probably like if I played them.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 5:24 am

Perpetual Motion wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:27 pm
It’s a horror game about an exorcist that’s styled after super old PC games.

Also,

MORTIS
wait is this the game where you arrive in a car and you get to a house and there's like spooky stuff in the attic and there's a monster? Cause maybe I -have- heard of it then :v:
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 6:04 am

Yeah, that's the one
ImageImage Image Image

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 6:44 am

that's the guy who made the little ad game for The Wind which is all i've played of his :-I

talk of indie horror games reminded me of The Night that Speaks which i remember for two things: unique 3D gameboy shaders and flipping off the spooky things so they leave you alone

in the process of finding that game again i also stumbled upon Deadeus which is more recent and looks kind of intriguing

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 6:57 am

i like that you scare away the monster by flipping the bird at it
ImageImage Image Image

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 am

i just watched two different videos of people playing through DEADEUS and finding every ending they can. the game actually played out very differently between the two of them, and most of that came down to one of them not realizing you can take the sacrificial knife when the cultist's back is turned. there were still several possibilities that neither of them explored, and some fun moments which one video or the other had missed out on

i always thought the semi-pastoral cult thing was very much a horror cliche, but perhaps it's more of a staple that has to be wielded effectively. i mean, this game is pretty slick in how it focuses wholly on mysterious and disturbing themes, so there are some horrifying moments and realizations but nothing (as far as i've seen) resembling a cheap jump scare. hell, contrary to the 'box art' and title screen's visual suggestions, almost none of the game actually takes place in the dark. there is no boogeyman, no shifty shadowy things that leave you bracing yourself for a boogeyman, and no twitchy gameplay where you might feel pressured to avoid said boogeyman. so i guess by embracing the more psychological aspects of horror, they took in a few things one might call a cliche to avoid several others

it's also neat as hell that it was made as an authentic game boy ROM that can be played on the actual hardware

hail deadeus

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 10:53 am

Them’s Fighting Herds showed up in my Steam queue and it’s so weird to see it as real.

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Thu May 07, 2020 11:17 am

Good.
ImageImage Image Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 pm

I really couldn't get into them's fighting herds because the game was EXTREMELY "competitive fighting game esports" in design. Special moves are weak, supers are weak, and everything is combo-based.
ImageImageImageImage

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 3:57 pm

I've given up on ever getting into fighting games because I just seem to not be able to get how they work.
ImageImage Image Image

DaikatunaRevengeance
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by DaikatunaRevengeance (?) » Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Though, i was expecting TFH to be on the easier side.
ImageImage Image Image